Custody / Separation Policy of Scoil Charthaigh Naofa
The staff of Scoil Charthaigh Naofa encourages parents experiencing separation to come and speak confidentially to the teachers and/or principal. It is our aim to handle such matters with sensitivity and compassion, and ultimately, our primary concern is for the well-being and overall development of the child.
1. When a child spends time in two homes, it is requested that the school be provided with both sets of emergency/contact numbers.
2. With regard to the collection of children from school, it is requested that the school be informed of any changes in collection arrangements by note.
3. It is policy to offer the option of separate parent/teacher meetings if so desired. It is the responsibility of the parents to communicate this request to the school via the school principal for each meeting.
4. It is assumed that when we wish to communicate with parents regarding their child, the parent who is contacted (the parent with whom the child normally resides) will inform the other parent of meetings, arrangements etc. Special requests for separate communication can be accommodated.
5. With regard to school communication via schoolbags notes, school reports etc it is assumed that the parent with whom the child normally resides will keep the other parent informed.
6. In the absence of a custody arrangement, both parents will be treated as equal partners in terms of parenting rights and responsibilities.
7. The school cannot be asked to withhold a child from either parent, in the absence of a custody arrangement or Court Sanctioned Restraining Order. A copy of the Restraining Order will be requested by the school for retention in the child's school file.
8. The staff of Scoil Charthaigh Naofa will endeavour at all times to deal sensitively and caringly with children experiencing separation. The staff can recommend books, videos, publications etc dealing with the issue of separation, on request.