NCSE supports for schools and parents during closure
For parents of children with special educational needs
- NCSE have created a dedicated phone line for parents to get advice and support from SENOs. The SENO will provide support and advice to parents and where relevant provide specific resources e.g. behaviour strategies, NEPS well-being resources. If necessary parents can book a subsequent appointment with the SENO assigned to their child’s school. This new phone number is 01 603 3456 (from Monday 11 January).
- For students who might be moving between schools in September 2021, SENOs will undertake structured engagement with relevant students and their families. This engagement will involve advice and support on transition strategies appropriate to the student, along with support in securing a school placement where required.
- SENOs will continue to provide a series of webinars for parents of students with special education needs starting primary school in September 2021.
- The NCSE has a Visiting Teacher service which provides direct support to children who are blind/visually impaired and deaf/hard of hearing and their teachers. Visiting Teachers continue to be available to provide advice and support to parents, students and teachers during this period of remote teaching and learning. Visiting Teachers will undertake structured engagement with the families of students to whom they currently provide support to. This engagement will involve an initial check in with advice on available supports and resources. In particular, the Visiting Teacher will provide support on the use of assistive technology in the home. The Visiting Teacher will agree a programme of regular engagement with the student and family as required and will remain available to respond to emerging queries over the course of remote teaching and learning. Contact details for visiting teachers are available at https://ncse.ie/vt_contact_details. If parents experience difficulties contacting their Visiting Teacher they should call 01 603 3200.
- NCSE will also be releasing a brand new suite of short videos for parents. Topics will include managing behaviour; establishing positive routines; building in movement breaks etc.
- NCSE will also be updating and enhancing its range of resources for parents available at https://ncse.ie/parent-resources many of which were created with specific reference to remote teaching and learning.